Nike Hyperdunk 2015 Delivers Modern Aesthetic with Advanced Technology
June 17, 2015
The Nike Hyperdunk 2015 shoe features the brand’s top performance technology and a striking, cutting-edge silhouette. Leo Chang, Nike Basketball’s Footwear Design Director, led the development of the new Hyperdunk, aiming to evolve the line’s aesthetic while solidifying its reputation as one of basketball’s most technically advanced shoes of all time.
Releasing in more than 15 countries on July 1, the Hyperdunk 2015 is a lightweight, responsive shoe that feels like a high-top, but performs like a low-top. Modern design cues of the futuristic NIKE MAG inspired the new Hyperdunk, including the extended collar height and minimalist upper with reduced layers.
“The Hyperdunk 2015 combines a progressive design aesthetic inspired by the NIKE MAG, with technical obsession on the upper, midsole and outsole,” said Chang. “Our goal was to make this the best-performing Hyperdunk from top to bottom.”
An Upper Fit to Move
Flexibility and support define the new Hyperdunk upper, led by four technical details born from athlete insight and exhaustive testing:
1. Hyperfuse construction fuses lightweight textile with support skins to create a seamless, one-piece upper for lightweight durability and support.
2. Flexible collar foam helps lock the foot in place, providing the support of a high-top with the feel of a low-top.
3. Internal bootie construction features mesh and foam, which stretch and conform to the foot for a snug, comfortable fit.
4. Nike Flywire technology wraps the foot for a dynamic feel and lockdown support perfected for basketball. Molded channels allow the Flywire cables to loosen and tighten with the natural motion of the foot.
Responsive Midsole Cushioning
Nike Zoom Air technology provides optimal cushioning for the elevation, impact and dynamic footwork of basketball. For the first time, the Hyperdunk footwear franchise features Zoom Air within a modern midsole construction, which includes three technical details:
1. Zoom Air units in the heel and at the forefoot provide low profile, responsive cushioning for excellent court feel.
2. Midsole foam surrounding the heel functions as a heel counter to enhance stability.
3. Phylon midsole provides lightweight cushioning and stability.
Dynamic Outsole Traction Design
Traction design can make or break a basketball shoe. Nike Basketball’s obsession with traction has propelled the industry to new places with the KYRIE 1 and KOBE X, and continues with the Hyperdunk 2015. Its versatile outsole construction is intended for diverse court surfaces, indoor and outdoor. The Hyperdunk 2015 features three key outsole details:
1. Herringbone pattern refined to enhance tackiness and grip, while delivering durability and traction for an array of court surfaces.
2. Outsole design wraps up the shoe’s sidewall to enhance stability and support in the midfoot area.
3. Outsole material reduction at the heel to minimize weight and reveal the Zoom Air cushioning inside.
The Nike Hyperdunk 2015 is available globally in the bright crimson launch colorway at nike.com and select retail locations beginning July 1. The white colorway is available beginning Aug. 1. Six key colorways are available July 1 - Sept. 30.