The 1983 women's Nike Air Pegasus
The 1983 men's Nike Air Pegasus
Nike introduced the Pegasus, intended to be the shoe for every runner, in 1983. It was designed to be half air (similar to the winged half-horse it was named after) to represent movement, quickness and the allure of flying.
Joan Benoit Samuelson
In its 35 years of life, it has undergone major technology shifts and supported training efforts of countless everyday runners and even some of the world’s best distance runners. But it wasn’t always Nike’s golden running shoe. Here are the shoe’s 10 standout facts and figures.
1. It’s Nike’s all-time best-selling running shoe.
2. NIKE, Inc. Chairman, President and CEO, Mark Parker, was part of the team credited with making the first Peg. At the time, he was the manager of advanced product designs and the director of design concepts and engineering.
3. The Pegasus was the first shoe to feature an Air Wedge, a heel-only Air unit that, according to an October 1982 Nike catalog, “improves shock absorption by 12 percent over an EVA wedge” (which it replaced). In fact, it’s why the shoe was originally called the Air Wedge Trainer.
4. A children’s model became part of the line-up in 1987.
The 1996 Nike Air Pegasus
5. Visible Air was introduced to the shoe in 1996.
6. NIKE, Inc. founder, Phil Knight, may be wearing a Pegasus (in black) right now. He’s been spotted in Peg at black-tie events, public speaking appearances and between meetings at Nike’s World Campus in Beaverton, Oregon.
The 1988 men's Air Pegasus ACG
The 1991 men’s Air Pegasus A/T
The 1991 Air Pegasus Racer
1988 men's Air Pegasus ACG With a synthetic leather upper and rubber toe guard, runners had an alternative for cold, wet conditions and off-road running.
1991 men’s Air Pegasus A/T Made of black and grey leather and synthetic leather, it was intended for all- terrain running.
1991 Air Pegasus Racer Built on the same last as Air Pegasus, the Racer offered the everyday runner a lighter shoe for racing, tipping the scale at 7.7 oz. compared to roughly 10 oz. for Air Pegasus at the time.
2003 Air Trail Pegasus Its tough, traction trail waffle outsole was engineered for grip during wet conditions. A breathable mesh upper and a rubber toe guard offered further protection.
2017 Air Zoom Pegasus Mo Farah To celebrate Farah’s achievements, Nike customized the latest model of his favorite training shoe with personal details, including a red colorway (to support his favorite football club), the Union Jack flag (he holds the honor of Commander of the British Empire and was knighted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) and gold accents (for his nine global gold medals).
7. The franchise was temporarily dropped from the line in 1997. In 1998, it was renamed the Arma, and the technology (essentially) remained in the line. It made its official return to the line in 2000 as the Air Pegasus 2000, which was designed by Air Max Plus designer Sean McDowell as part of the newly created Bowerman Series (a collection dedicated to making consistent, dependable footwear for runners by runners).
8. In 2004 and for the first time in Pegasus history, the women’s version was adapted specifically for the anatomy of the female foot. The women’s saddle was made more “curvaceous,” and the medial support was increased. It wasn’t until 2006 that it became completely gender specific. And for 2018, if offers responsive Cushlon foam specifically tuned for women for the first time.
9. It’s the first non-basketball shoe to feature Nike FlyEase.
10. The 2018 Peg takes inspiration from the Zoom Vaporfly 4%, and for the first time offers a full-length articulated Zoom Airbag. (To prove an Airbag could be curved similarly to the way the 4%’s carbon-fiber plate was, the designer heated an Airbag in his microwave then wrapped it around a beer mug).
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 will be available beginning May 15 on nike.com and at select retailers.
Built with a proprietary new fit system, the PhantomVSN boot launches July 18.
Built with a proprietary new fit system, the PhantomVSN b...
The kit is available July 19.
The new 2018/19 Tottenham Hotspur collection is available on nike.com.
The new 2018/19 Tottenham Hotspur collection is available...
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 FlyEase releases July 18 on nike.com.
Russell Wilson's first lifestyle signature shoe is available for...
Limited quantities of the Nike Golf Tour Premiere PE will be available...
The Windy City creative, born Julian Victor LaMarr Gaines, delivers a fresh perspective on two classic sneakers, the Nike Sky Force and Nike Air Vortex, as well as a series of creative programs for local kids.
The Windy City creative, born Julian Victor LaMarr Gaines...
The NikeCourt Air Zoom Zero is the first tennis shoe to feature a full-length articulated Zoom bag. It releases on July 19.
The NikeCourt Air Zoom Zero is the first tennis shoe to f...
France's title caps a brilliant summer for Nike Football in which three of the four semifinalists wore Nike kits and players wearing Nike boots led the goal scoring.
France's title caps a brilliant summer for Nike Football ...
The Nike App at Retail brings a new level of service to your Nike store and transforms your phone into the ultimate shopping companion.
The Nike App at Retail brings a new level of service to y...
Nike by Melrose is the first Nike Live concept store, built for and inspired by LA-based NikePlus members. More neighborhood-specific locations will open in other cities around the globe, including Tokyo, next spring and beyond.
Nike by Melrose is the first Nike Live concept store, bui...
The union realized two Air Jordan silhouettes — the AJI Zip AWOK and the AJIII AWOK. The AJI Zip AWOK will be available July 21 and the AJIII AWOK will be available September 7.
The union realized two Air Jordan silhouettes — the AJI Z...
During his 2018 Asia tour — covering Guangzhou, Manila and Taipei — Kevin Durant opens up about his maturation over the last two championship seasons, and about how he’s adopted an increasingly global mindset to achieve newfound success.
During his 2018 Asia tour — covering Guangzhou, Manila an...
Athletes asked for the magic of the Vaporfly 4% in an everyday running shoe. They received it in the form of this new silhouette, available beginning July 19.
Athletes asked for the magic of the Vaporfly 4% in an eve...
Here’s what you need to know about how to get in on the cool things Nike is doing this July.
Here’s what you need to know about how to get in on the c...