Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
The CR7 Chapter 5: Cut to Brilliance boots are available September 29 on nike.com.
The CR7 Chapter 5: Cut to Brilliance boots are available ...
What you need to know to access the one-hour special that covers the yearlong journey where three elite distance runners attempted to break the two-hour marathon barrier and ended up redefining human potential.
What you need to know to access the one-hour special that...
This holiday season, Jordan Brand continues to celebrate the 20-year-anniversary of the XIII and explores new colorways, materials and make-ups of the Air Jordan I, VI and XII.
This holiday season, Jordan Brand continues to celebrate ...
It's available starting September 21 on Nike+ SNKRS, nike.com and at...
To complement the release of the Nike Flyleather Tennis Classic, Nike...
This new high-end super material has the power to help athletes perform their best while greatly reducing Nike’s water use and carbon footprint.
This new high-end super material has the power to help at...
The Nike X EA SPORTS Hypervenom will make its virtual debut on September 21 and will be worn on pitch by Mauro Icardi and Edinson Cavani.
The Nike X EA SPORTS Hypervenom will make its virtual deb...
From the cleanest “white-whites” to the most beaten pair, every scuff and speck of dirt writes a story.
From the cleanest “white-whites” to the most beaten pair,...
Learn all about this key innovation for the system of Nike NBA apparel here.
Learn all about this key innovation for the system of Nik...
The Statement Edition uniform sets the tone for big games or rivalries. For each team, the aesthetic expresses the specific spirit of the current roster.
The Statement Edition uniform sets the tone for big games...
Here's what makes the Nike Therma Flex Showtime Warm-up Jacket a first-of-its-kind garment. Fan versions of it will be available September 29 on nike.com/nba.
Here's what makes the Nike Therma Flex Showtime Warm-up J...
Tapping in to the new Nike NBA Jersey through the NikeConnect app provides personal, next-level access to athletes, exclusive offers and the game you love right on your smartphone.
Tapping in to the new Nike NBA Jersey through the NikeCon...
The new Nike Apple Watch Cellular + GPS and Apple Watch Nike+ GPS with Sport Loops and Sport Bands are available from Nike beginning October 5.
The new Nike Apple Watch Cellular + GPS and Apple Watch N...
The Air Max 97 OG / UNDFTD releases in both black and white colorways exclusively at UNDFTD on September 16. A global launch of the black colorway follows on September 21.
The Air Max 97 OG / UNDFTD releases in both black and whi...