Five Things to Know About the Commemorative Kobe Bryant Black Mamba Air Force 1
December 18, 2017
On December 18, Kobe Bryant added another distinction to his illustrious 20-year career: number retirement. And, in typical Bryant fashion, it's done with an inimitable flare. Rather than retiring a single number, the Black Mamba will have both his 8 and 24 jerseys enshrined — making him one of a select group of athletes who have two jerseys retired, and the only player with two numbers retired with a single team.
There's good reason for the accolade: He won five titles with the franchise and an MVP award; twice he led the league in scoring and nine times he was named a member of the All-NBA defensive first team. He's also the Lakers all-time leader in regular season games played (1,346), points scored (33,643) and three-pointers made.
In celebration of Bryant's two jerseys being raised to the Staples Center rafters, Nike offers a special edition Air Force 1 iD.
Here are the details:
1. It features a special Snake Skin-like Black Mamba upper
2. A Drop Shadow Swoosh adds dimension
3. Bryant's Numbers, 8 and 24, are on the heel tabs
4. Eight Stars appear on each tongue, which, when added, honors the Lakers total title tally
5. The shoe is part of a number retirement celebration pack that includes limited edition jerseys and perhaps the best Bryant graphic T-shirt ever produced