December 22, 2020 - The Nike SB Dunk Low Street Hawker, designed by Guangzhou artist Jason Deng, gives big props to the bonding effect food culture has in China. Above, a watercolor painting from Deng shows the design inspiration: six regional dishes from six Chinese cities, combined with a slew of other, subtly-incorporated nods to Chinese cuisine.
Here are 22 things you should know about the Street Hawker Dunk.
1. The left shoe uses a lighter beige for three flour-based dishes.
2. The suede toebox mimics the color and texture of green bean soup (Douzhi) from Beijing.
3. Donut (Jiaoquan) patterns on the forefoot pair with the green bean soup.
4. Embossed suede on the lateral side shows shredded pita bread pieces for a traditional Xi'an dish: pita bread soaked in mutton soup.
5. That mutton soup is represented in water-color patterns across the lateral side.
6. The Swoosh is depicted in a wood-grain texture to represent chopsticks.
7. On the lateral heel, water-color fading looks like Shanghai plain noodles, also called Yangchun noodles.
8. An embroidered 10-cent copper coin appears on the lateral heel, hinting at Yangchun noodles.
9. The left insole resembles a blue sky, inspired by traditional Chinese slang implying that people treat food as their heaven.
10. The blue lining of the left midsole mimics the blue-and-white of fine porcelain bowls.
11. The right shoe features hotter colors to represent different heats, from spicy to sweet.
12. The metallic color on the right toebox is pulled from Chengdu hotpots in which dishes are cooked.
13. Boiling chili-oil treatments bubble around the toebox.
14. Ostrich leather on the lateral side is inspired by the crispy roasted goose skin that’s famous in Guangzhou.
15. The silver Swoosh resembles the metal hook used to hang the roast goose.
16. The flame and Lychee wood used to roast the goose appears in a watercolor pattern around the eyelits.
17. Shaved ice and taro balls — a common Taipei dessert — can be found on the heel counter.
18. The insole paints the scene of a bench terrace, a landscaping method used to grow rice paddies.
19. The collar lining reflects the color of meat dishes.
20. The yellow outsole represents cooking oils.
21. Heel tabs feature Chinese calligraphy for “food” in black and white thread.
22. Four colors of laces are inspired by four essential seasonings in Chinese cuisine: green (shallots), yellow (ginger), white (garlic) and black (black pepper).
The shoe releases January 13 on SNKRS.
March 07, 2016 - Inspired by Art Nouveau and the Parisian Metropolitan arches, the “City Collection" Nike Air Max 1 Ultra women's shoe has an intricate, curving print that pays homage to the City of Light's rich design history.
The “City Collection" Nike Air Max 1 Ultra arrives March 16 on Nike.com.
March 07, 2016 - Inspired by ancient Chinese architecture and textiles, the “City Collection” Nike Air Max 90 Ultra women's shoe has a bright pattern dedicated to the vibrant city of Shanghai.
The “City Collection” Nike Air Max 90 Ultra arrives March 17 on Nike.com.
March 07, 2016 - Inspired by Victorian patterns, the “City Collection” Nike Air Max BW Ultra women's shoe is an ode to London's design heritage.
The “City Collection” Nike Air Max BW Ultra arrives March 18 on Nike.com.
March 07, 2016 - Inspired by Art Deco design and the iconic Chrysler Building, the “City Collection” Nike Air Max Thea Ultra women's shoe is an ode to New York's architectural history.
The “City Collection” Nike Air Max Thea Ultra arrives March 19 on Nike.com.
March 07, 2016 - Inspired by Japanese wave patterns, the “City Collection” Nike Air Max Zero Ultra women's shoe is dedicated to the city of Tokyo.
The “City Collection” Nike Air Max Zero Ultra arrives March 28 on Nike.com.
March 04, 2016 - The Nike Flyknit Racer is now available in a bright "Santa Monica Sunset" colorway, inspired by the rich running heritage of the city and its residents' favorite time to train.
March 03, 2016 - Upon its release in 1991, the Air Max BW was an immediate hit with distance runners. Since then, the striking silhouette has been a favorite of club kids worldwide.
Retooled for lightweight comfort, the Air Max BW Ultra women's shoe arrives in Bright Crimson on March 3 at Nike.com.
March 02, 2016 - The Nike Air Max 1 Print juxtaposes a smooth, suede mudguard with a vibrant, seasonal cherry blossom-inspired upper.
March 02, 2016 - The Nike Classic Cortez Cherry Blossom shoe wraps the original Bowerman design in a seasonal print.