July 23, 2020 - Since returning to performance basketball with the All Star Pro BB in 2019, Converse has locked in with its family of athletes (male and female, pro and amateur) to evolve its product. With the introduction of the Converse All Star BB Evo, that hard work is actualized.
“The Converse All Star BB Evo has a low center of gravity; it allows me to be in control each and every moment,” says Kelly Oubre Jr.
Specifically, the ASBB Evo helps keep players on their forefoot, positioning them for nimble moves and creative reactions to find space on the court.
Oubre Jr., Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Natasha Cloud, along with other basketball players from around the world, provided consistent feedback to ensure a design that maximizes on-court control with a healthy dose of artistry. "You get a feeling from it," says Oubre Jr. of the ASBB Evo's aesthetic.
"Athletes are, more than ever, dedicated to self-expression on and off the court," says Richard Ward, Converse Design Director of Footwear. "We wanted to build the upper in a way that allowed for more expressive and bold paneling through a distinctive split. This also allowed us to solve for a performance need, through lockdown and stability.”
The shoe carries some familiar details from its predecessor. Of note is the iconic Star Chevron logo — presented here with a blurred articulation evoking movement and speed. It also delivers new features, including a 5/8 collar height and the 50/50 split upper, which combine to calibrate the shoe for creative playmaking.
The Tuning of Converse All Star BB Evo:
- HEIGHT The ASBB Evo carries a 5/8 height purposefully crafted (and directly influenced by player insight) for increased flexibility. Zonal padding around the ankle provides optimum protection.
- UPPER The 50/50 split material of the upper highlights an engineered, lofted mesh on the medial side for breathability and a structured, closed diamond textile on the material for stability and support.
- LACING The ASBB Evo's rail lace system allows for expressive and adaptable forefoot containment.
- CUSHIONING A Nike React drop-in midsole offers low profile, responsive cushioning.
- TRACTION With a diamond lug pattern dressing the All Star BB Evo’s thin, wrap-cup outsole, court feel and 360-traction are maximized.
The Converse All Star BB Evo releases August 1 on converse.com.