Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
Scout Bassett, Sarah Reinertsen, Jordan Hasay, David Boudia and Galen Rupp joined 400 Nike employee volunteers to inspire participants.
Scout Bassett, Sarah Reinertsen, Jordan Hasay, David Boud...
The Nike Golf Club Charge the Cup collection is inspired by the sport's most heated rivalry and available now on nike.com.
The Nike Golf Club Charge the Cup collection is inspired ...
The new pack will be available across cleated and NikeFootballX versions beginning October 3 via the Nike Football App and nike.com.
The new pack will be available across cleated and NikeFoo...
McIlroy wins in sudden death playoff for victory at East Lake Golf Club.
McIlroy wins in sudden death playoff for victory at East ...
The Nike Zoom Train Toranada offers stability and responsive cushioning...
The black and white Nike Flyknit Racer returns with an updated knit that...
The Nike Air Zoom Strong women's training shoe wraps the foot with a...
The new Nike Air Zoom Structure 20 arrives for men and women on September 29 at Nike.com.
The new Nike Air Zoom Structure 20 arrives for men and wo...
The "Once a Duck" uniforms will debut September 24.
The Mercurial x EA SPORTS boots will be available on September 26 from Nike Football App and Nike.com. Limited to 1,500 pairs, each boot is individually numbered on the heel.
The Mercurial x EA SPORTS boots will be available on Sept...
Manchester City will wear the 2016-17 third kit in continental and domestic cup matches. Designed with revolutionary Aeroswift Technology, the kit is available starting September 22 at nike.com.
Manchester City will wear the 2016-17 third kit in contin...
When kids are active, they are healthier, learn better and have a greater chance of achieving lifelong success. For kids, play is serious. That’s why Nike is serious about play.
When kids are active, they are healthier, learn better an...
The 33-year-old recorded 22 birdies and two eagles.
Athletes representing Team USA in the Paralympics showcase both their unique strengths and their shared drive to overcome limits and realize their full potential.
Athletes representing Team USA in the Paralympics showcas...
The NikeLab x Kim Jones: Packable Sport Style collection is available September 22 at nike.com/nikelab and select NikeLab stores.
The NikeLab x Kim Jones: Packable Sport Style collection ...