Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
The Nike Air Sock Racer Ultra Flyknit is available April 27 on Nike+ SNKRS, nike.com and at select retailers.
The Nike Air Sock Racer Ultra Flyknit is available April ...
Find out when Eliud Kipchoge, Lelisa Desisa and Zersenay Tadese will aim to make their final attempt to break the two-hour marathon barrier — and how to watch it happen.
Find out when Eliud Kipchoge, Lelisa Desisa and Zersenay ...
Apple Watch NikeLab is available April 27 on nike.com, at NikeLab doors and at an Apple Tokyo pop-up.
Apple Watch NikeLab is available April 27 on nike.com, at...
A sleeper classic from the '90s, the Nike Air Shake NDestrukt graced the...
The successful inaugural season included 288 girls and boys and concluded April 15 with the Mamba Challenge.
The successful inaugural season included 288 girls and bo...
The Detroit Lions have a bold new look, and they’re unveiling it tonight on Ford Field.
The Detroit Lions have a bold new look, and they’re unvei...
From club culture to the catwalk, those who were there from the start explain how the Nike Air Max 97 became Italy’s “must-have” sneaker.
From club culture to the catwalk, those who were there fr...
With all eyes on the playoffs, this four-shoe collection showcases the best of Nike Basketball. It releases May 5 on nike.com and at select retailers.
With all eyes on the playoffs, this four-shoe collection ...
The Syracuse men’s and UNC women’s teams will unveil the Nike Untouchable Speed uniforms during play this week.
The Syracuse men’s and UNC women’s teams will unveil the ...
The brand honors Westbrook and one of the greatest individual seasons in NBA history with a commemorative “Big 0” spot and a special set of player exclusive shoes.
The brand honors Westbrook and one of the greatest indivi...
The USA improves its record in the prestigious series to 14-6.
The USA improves its record in the prestigious series to ...
The PG1 Chalk Burst launches April 6 at nike.com, SNKRS, Nike+ and at select retailers.
The PG1 Chalk Burst launches April 6 at nike.com, SNKRS, ...
The commemorative apparel collection honoring the Tar Heel’s title is available now at jordan.com.
The commemorative apparel collection honoring the Tar Hee...