Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
15 years since its initial release, the legendary Air Force One Linen returns this week.
15 years since its initial release, the legendary Air For...
The new agreement will run from 2018 until 2026.
Army Black Knights will wear the new “paratrooper” look on December 10.
Army Black Knights will wear the new “paratrooper” look o...
Inspired by the merging of ocean and land in Rio de Janeiro, the new NikeLab Air Zoom Legend x RT brings elements of Nike's past experimentation in boots into a new Chelsea boot.
Inspired by the merging of ocean and land in Rio de Janei...
A throwback-inspired KYRIE 2 PE for Kyrie Irving.
This white Nike Kobe A.D. PE is designed for DeMar DeRozan.
The Nike Flyknit Racer is available December 9 in the "Earth Tones"...
For the third year in a row, the Diamond Quest begins with all four schools in the College Football Playoff wearing Nike uniforms.
For the third year in a row, the Diamond Quest begins wit...
A closer look at Nike's "New York Made" campaign including a new Nike Soho store, an artist-designed basketball court and more.
A closer look at Nike's "New York Made" campaign includin...
NIKELAB CHI opens on December 1.
The Nike Detroit Community Store’s inaugural grant benefits the Boys and Girls Club of Southeastern Michigan and more.
The Nike Detroit Community Store’s inaugural grant benefi...
Jordan Brand honors the 20th anniversary of Space Jam with the launch of DEFY, new take on the classic story to inspire a new generation to defy expectations.
Jordan Brand honors the 20th anniversary of Space Jam wit...
The Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 in Black/White-Blue Lagoon releases December 1.
The Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 in Black/White-Blue Lagoon releas...
NikeLab MA5 opens in Minami Aoyama, Tokyo on December 1.
Tiger Woods will lace up a new signature shoe when he returns to the course this week.
Tiger Woods will lace up a new signature shoe when he ret...