Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
Over 15 years, the Nike SB Dunks has become a cult favorite — cherished by skateboarders and sneaker collectors alike.
Over 15 years, the Nike SB Dunks has become a cult favori...
The official product partnership between Nike and FIBA spans apparel, footwear and equipment.
The official product partnership between Nike and FIBA sp...
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang launches the Hypervenom 3 Strike Night, available from February 27 from Nike.com
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang launches the Hypervenom 3 Strik...
This March, Nike will release the China-exclusive Li Na Collection, honoring Li’s trailblazing determination and encouraging more girls to follow in her footsteps.
This March, Nike will release the China-exclusive Li Na C...
Debuting on the Duke University men’s basketball team tomorrow, the...
Paying homage to Nike, the goddess of victory, the all-white Nike...
This is a special Nike PG1 PE for Paul George.
Sandy Bodecker, VP of Special Projects, Nike, Inc., and pro skater Reese Forbes recall the first Nike SB sales trip.
Sandy Bodecker, VP of Special Projects, Nike, Inc., and p...
The connection between Paul George and Nike designer Tony Hardman is evident in the nuances of the PG1’s design.
The connection between Paul George and Nike designer Tony...
The Nike Air VaporMax pays off the full promise of Air — to provide lightweight, consistent cushioning that lasts.
The Nike Air VaporMax pays off the full promise of Air — ...
To celebrate Air Max Day, a mix of retros, remixes and innovations will release through the month of March.
To celebrate Air Max Day, a mix of retros, remixes and in...
Jordan Brand and OVO celebrate the court culture of All-Star weekend with its third collaboration collection.
Jordan Brand and OVO celebrate the court culture of All-S...
Last month, Nike unveiled Breaking2, an innovation moonshot to deliver the first two-hour marathon barrier. Meet the team helping Eliud Kipchoge, Lelisa Desisa and Zersenay Tadese get the most from every stride.
Last month, Nike unveiled Breaking2, an innovation moonsh...
The Nike Hypervenom 3 Tech Craft releases February 13.
Nike’s EQUALITY initiative encourages people to take the fairness and respect they see in sport and translate them off the field.
Nike’s EQUALITY initiative encourages people to take the ...