Nike celebrates 15 years by encouraging you to LIVESTRONG.
On Oct. 2, 1996, Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. On Jan. 8, 1997, he decided to engage others in his fight against the disease by starting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. By 1999 he was back on the bike and went on to claim a record seven Tour De France victories while raising awareness and hope for millions of people whose lives have been impacted by cancer.
Today Lance’s foundation is known the world over as LIVESTRONG. For 28 million people around the world living with cancer today it is a symbol of inspiration, help and community. Nike is proud to be a long-time supporter of Lance Armstrong and LIVESTRONG.
Nike’s commitment to Lance as an athlete and advocate began in 1996. Our partnership continues to grow as we work together to help expand his message of hope to LIVESTRONG supporters around the world with the Nike LIVESTRONG collection.
15 ways to LIVESTRONG:
1. Support LIVESTRONG by purchasing a wristband for $1.In 2004, Nike launched the LIVESTRONG yellow wristband to help raise awareness and funds for LIVESTRONG. The wristband became a global phenomenon, with Lance and other athletes, celebrities and individuals from all walks of life joining what LIVESTRONG CEO and President Doug Ulman calls “the democratization of philanthropy.”
2. Wear the LIVESTRONG Collection.Nike created the LIVESTRONG collection of training apparel, footwear and accessories in 2008. Rooted in performance and style, the collection has grown tremendously since the iconic yellow LIVESTRONG wristband debuted in 2004. To date more than 84 million wristbands have been distributed and $100 million raised for the cause. Nike’s LIVESTRONG collection is available at www.nikestore.com and select retailers around the world.
3. Learn from LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org to learn about the disease, what you can do to support and help others living with cancer, and how Lance’s fight inspired him to begin LIVESTRONG.
4. Seek help from LIVESTRONG.LIVESTRONG provides free, confidential, one-on-one support to anyone affected by cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org/gethelp.
5. Train for LIVESTRONG.Amplify your training with the team LIVESTRONG feature on the Nike Boom app. Lance will motivate you as you train to meet your fundraising goals and you can spread the word through your social networks.
6. Compete for LIVESTRONG.Visit www.livestrong.org/team and sign up to run, walk or bike in a team LIVESTRONG event happening across the country.
7. Take action with LIVESTRONG.Find out what’s already going on in your area or find out how to organize your own event to raise funds for LIVESTRONG. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction.
8. Donate to LIVESTRONG.A donation to LIVESTRONG can help raise awareness and provide essential support to people affected by cancer. Make an online donation or explore other ways to give at www.livestrong.org/donate.
9. Follow Lance on Twitter @lancearmstrong.
10. Follow LIVESTRONG CEO and President, Doug Ulman, on Twitter @dougulman.
11. Follow LIVESTRONG on Twitter @livestrong.
12. Join LIVESTRONG on Facebook - www.facebook.com/livestrong
13. Share your story using #whyilivestrong.
14. Show your support for LIVESTRONG on World Cancer Day, Feb. 4, 2012.
15. Get a check-up. Go to your doctor for routine cancer screenings.
Kevin Durant debuted the new KD9 on-court versus Golden State on Sunday.
Serena Williams will compete in Paris in a NikeCourt Flare that...
The NikeCourt "Greatness Collection" continues with a NikeCourt Air Max...
The second collaboration in NikeLab’s Summer of Sport series rethinks off-pitch football style.
The second collaboration in NikeLab’s Summer of Sport ser...
The Swedish musician describes how running has changed both his life and his craft.
The Swedish musician describes how running has changed bo...
Four-time Major champion Rory McIlroy bested the inclement weather conditions and a fiercely competitive field to win the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open, hosted by The Rory Foundation, and claim his first victory of the season.
Four-time Major champion Rory McIlroy bested the inclemen...
The 25-year-old Bulgarian has his sights set on the season’s second Grand Slam.
The 25-year-old Bulgarian has his sights set on the seaso...
The agreement extends the relationship between FC Barcelona and Nike to over 30 years.
The agreement extends the relationship between FC Barcelo...
The third installment of the KOBE 11 Muse Pack is designed by NIKE, Inc. President & CEO Mark Parker, with inspiration from the Black Mamba snake.
The third installment of the KOBE 11 Muse Pack is designe...
NikeCourt’s collection for the second Grand Slam of the season takes inspiration from its host city.
NikeCourt’s collection for the second Grand Slam of the s...
Nike announces a new 3D-printing partnership with HP designed to accelerate the scale and speed of the company’s innovation processes.
Nike announces a new 3D-printing partnership with HP desi...
Exclusive behind-the-scenes content, episodes, cast and crew member information, key products and more.
Exclusive behind-the-scenes content, episodes, cast and c...
For golfer Rory McIlroy, running is a way of clearing his mind and preparing for long rounds.
For golfer Rory McIlroy, running is a way of clearing his...
UConn caps an incredible undefeated 38-0 season with its 11th National Championship
UConn caps an incredible undefeated 38-0 season with its ...
Building upon over a decade of Nike Free innovation, Nike unveils new running and training additions to its Free footwear family.
Building upon over a decade of Nike Free innovation, Nike...